It’s the time of year where the bugs come out and play! Colds, flu, tummy bugs and viruses. So here are my tips to be a winter warrior and beat the bugs this season!
Prevent, Prevent, Prevent is the key...
1. Diet- eat fresh, seasonal fruit and vegetables. Remember your colours, the more colour the better antioxidants and vitamins. In season now; apples, bananas, figs, kiwi fruit, lemons, asparagus, beans, beetroot, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, snow peas, tomatoes and zucchini.
2. Fluid- drink plenty of water or herbal teas.
3. Probiotics- 80% of your immune system is in your gut! So to boost your immune system look after your gut! Feed the good bacteria with an immune boosting probiotic, and if you have any digestive issues seek a practitioner to help heal your gut and boost your immunity.
4. Boost your immunity with vitamins, minerals and herbs. My favourite immune boosting ingredients include; vitamin C, vitamin A, B vitamins, zinc, olive leaf, Echinacea, Andrographis, and Garlic.
My top supplements that are my saviour during winter:
· - Bioceuticals ArmaForce- contains andrographis, olive leaf and Echinacea.
· - Ethical Nutrients- Zinc Fix
· - Ethical Nutrients Inner Health Immune Booster for adults or Metagenics Immune control- this is your immune boosting probiotic
· - Manuka honey- great immune boosting, anti-bacterial properties and feels great on a sore throat.
And my top supplements for my little ones are:
· - Ethical Nutrients Inner Health Immune Booster for kids- powder probiotic, just mix in water, milk, yoghurt, sprinkle over cereals or like my kids straight off the spoon.
· -Bioceuticals Immunofactors for Juniors- contains Sambucus nigra (black elder flower), vitamin C, vitamin A and zinc.
· - Cod liver oil- in particular if your child suffers from dry skin like eczema.
And if you do get struck down by the flu or cold, this recipe is amazing and will knock those bugs out!
Immune Boosting Tea
2-3 cloves of garlic crushed
1.5cm piece of ginger grated or crushed
3-4 cups of water
1tsp of honey (Manuka honey)
Boil the garlic, ginger and water together. Strain, add lemon juice and honey and drink throughout the day. It taste good and you won’t smell I promise!
Lisa Widman -Nutritionist