We all want it, to be healthy, happy and to look and feel youthful. Here are my top tips on achieving it!
1. Breathe…….. deep long belly breath and a slow long exhale. This in its self is an easy and very effective stress relief technique. But not only helping with stress, it will clear your lungs of old stale air, encourage your body to uptake more oxygen which will then circulate your body and help keep a clear and focus mind.
2. Water. Drink it, plenty of it, 2 litres a day is recommend. Water is essential for life, we need it for hydration, to replenish our cells, cleanse us of toxins.
3. Eat your greens. Make sure you have some greens on your plate; these are super alkalising and will help give you energy, cleanse and nourish you.
4. Good fats, eat them and coat your skin in them. Fats such as avocado, nuts, seeds, fish, coconut oil, nut and seed oils. Never be afraid of good fats they have so many health benefits from moisturising, fat burning, anti-inflammatory, anti-ageing, you name it! And don’t forget your skin, coconut oil makes a great skin moisturiser and hair mask, it has antifungal and anti-bacterial properties so great for skin conditions such as fungal infections, eczema, dermatitis and dandruff.
5. Smoothies!! Love a good green smoothie that’s jam packed with goodies such as activated nuts, coconut, avocado, spinach or kale, spirulina, mint leaves, Yum! Your energy will shoot through the roof!
6. Probiotics, look after your gut because it does so much hard work. Probiotics are not only for those who have had a course of antibiotics, they are for everyone. I find especially at this time of year when the seasons are changing probiotics are always my go to. I have my kids and whole family on them to help boost the immune system and keep bugs at bay, as well as keeping up our gut health.
7. Sleep, your body repairs while you sleep, and not to forget re-energises. So aim for 6-8hrs sleep (and make it good deep sleep) each night. If you find it hard to get to sleep or to stay asleep try taking magnesium before bed it works a treat, otherwise talk to a health practitioner for some alternate methods such as relaxation techniques or herbal supplements.
8. Get moving! Make exercise your thing because it will make you feel good! It doesn’t matter what type, it all depends on what is going to suit you, it could be running, walking, riding, swimming, aerobics, team sports, golf, tennis, yoga, Pilates, tai chi, dancing, surfing, paddling…….. as long as you are enjoying it and your body is moving your happy hormones will be raging!
9. Use natural skincare. Treat your skin with some love and nourish it from the outside. Plus by using chemical (non natural) based products your skin is absorbing these chemicals right into your body, so you will end up toxic. So ditch the chemicals and your skin will love you! At the moment I love Weleda products and Zkin products.
10. Smile and be grateful. Being grateful and having peace within yourself will shine through and will make other’s wonder “what is the secret, why do you look so good”. A smile is very healing not only to you but to others, so don’t forget to smile.
Lisa Widman the Nutritionist